As the topic of global warming starts to become increasingly more important, it’s essential that we explore different ways in which they can positively contribute to the environment. The phenomena surrounding global warming is nothing new, scientists have been issuing their concerns surrounding the condition of our planet for years now. Essentially, the amount of greenhouse gases that are being released into the atmosphere is nothing short of destructive, meaning that change needs to happen sooner rather than later.
Despite recycling and green waste removal becoming more prominent in our lives, not everybody has adopted this approach. Recycling is absolutely vital because this reduces the amount of waste that actually ends up at landfill. But why are landfills so dangerous? Essentially, they’re the main contributor to releasing greenhouse gases and therefore we need to place particular emphasis on stopping waste from actually arriving there in the first place.
At Cherry Hill Waste, we’re a company that holds the strong belief that we need to do more in terms of recycling, that’s why we offer green waste removal and recycling services that you can rely and depend on. If you’re looking for a company that specialises in waste management, then we’re the company for you.
If you’re still not convinced by the importance of green waste removal and recycling, then this guide will certainly change your mind!
What Are The Implications of Improper Waste Disposal?
Although you may have heard that waste is negatively affecting the environment you may not know what the actual implications of improper waste disposal are. Find out below.
A main negative of improper waste disposal is the damage it can cause to biodiversity. Species can be impacted directly by poor waste management, for instance if marine wildlife were to swallow or get caught up in some form of plastic or metal, then their livelihood can be at risk. Biodiversity is also indirectly impacted by poor waste management too. This is because landfill sites are known as a breeding ground for bacteria that produces methane – one of the most dangerous greenhouse gases. Disposing of waste properly through recycling means that we’re not just cleaning up the environment, but also improving the well-being of different species and the ecosystem.
As well as producing significant amounts of greenhouse gases, landfills are dangerous because they are a fire hazard. There are two types of fires that occur in a landfill site; surface fire and underground fires. Surface fires occur as a result of the methane intensifying, meaning that the fire is spread across the landfill. These fires can be caused by human error, construction work, deliberate fires or simply spontaneous combustion of materials already situated in the landfill. This is different to underground fires, where the fire involves buried materials that are months or years old. These fires are particularly dangerous as they can produce carbon monoxide, another dangerous greenhouse gas. Choosing to recycle and hire green waste removal companies means you can have peace of mind that your waste is not contributing to this fire hazard.
As already touched on, improper waste disposal not only has a detrimental impact on the livelihood of marine life, but it also impacts our water quality too. If the water is contaminated as a result of this waste, then there is a high change that the water used for human consumption will lead to serious health problems such as cholera or skin diseases. Whilst this might not be directly linked to green waste itself, it’s still important to gain a full understanding of how improper waste disposal can impact our environment.
Eco-Friendly Green Waste Removal Alternatives
If you’ve recently completed a big job in your garden or outside area and you’re left with a large amount of green waste but you’re not sure what to do with it, here are just a few ways you can dispose of your waste in an eco-friendly way!
- Hire a Professional Green and Wood Waste Removal Company – To ensure that you’re dealing with your waste in the best way possible, it might be a good idea to hire a waste recycling team. By doing so, you can be confident that your waste is not going to landfill. These companies also offer garden waste skips too, so you can safely organise all of your waste in one area.
- Mulch – If you’re looking for a way to convert your green waste into something else to be used in your outside area, then mulching could be the best option. Mulch is a good alternative because it looks impressive in flowerbeds and positively contributes to the soils health. If you decide to make your own mulch, just remember to use the right safety equipment!
- Leave Grass Cuttings – One option that can sometimes go under the radar is grass clippings. Probably the most simple method on this list, grass cuttings decompose in around a week whilst also returning valuable nutrients to promote further growth to the soil. Not only that, but this method protects your garden from droughts too!
- Wood Chippings – When it comes to eco-friendly alternatives, there are few materials that are more versatile than wood chippings. Wood chippings can be included in garden compost because of its ability to be broken down, whilst also providing nutrients in the soil to keep the plants healthy. They can also be used in garden walkways and used as mulch in flower beds.
What are the Benefits of Green Waste Recycling?
Aside from the environmental benefits, there are many other positives that come with green waste recycling. Whether you own a small business or a large organisation, opting for green waste recycling can make the world of difference. Take a look at just some of the benefits of green waste recycling:
- Save Money – Landfill costs are increasing more and more because of the significant damage it is causing to our planet, which means it is more expensive to actually improperly dispose of your green waste. If you’re on the hunt for a company that provides cost-effective green and wood waste removal services, then Cherry Hill Waste could be the perfect company for you. We take pride in offering some of the most competitive prices in the Stoke-On-Trent area for affordable green skip-hire solutions.
- Protect the Environment – It goes without saying that a huge benefit of actively recycling your green waste is that you’re able to contribute positively to the environment. Although you might be recycling items such as paper, cans and bottles, it’s also important to ensure that you are up to date with your green waste recycling too. Green waste should certainly not be left out of the conversation because decomposing waste produces significant amounts of methane. Biodegradable materials such as grass clippings, hedge trimmings, branches, leaves and flowers all fall under the ‘green waste’ umbrella. Rather than sending this biodegradable waste to a landfill, there are so many other ways that you can deal with this green waste in a environmentally friendly way. Enlisting the help of a professional green waste collection team is just one of the ways you can dispose of your green waste.
- Avoid Landfill – As already touched on, if we become less reliant on landfills to dispose of our waste, then we will start to see significant improvements to our environment. If we recycle green waste more often, then this means that landfills won’t be needed. In the UK, landfills are nearly at full-capacity, meaning that we need to do our upmost to avoid using them.
Cherry Hill Waste, The Leading Suppliers of Garden Waste Skips
At Cherry Hill Waste, we hold strong values when it comes to making recycling easy for our customers. We’re keen advocates for sustainability, but also want to make it simple and easy for our clients to recycle on a large scale. Whether you’re trying to tackle green or wood waste disposal, we’ve got you covered. Operating since 1982, we know exactly what it takes to provide you with a service that you can put your trust in. As well as being affordable and environmentally friendly, we also pride ourselves on being reliable.
If you’re on the hunt for a cost-effective and responsible waste removal company, then Cherry Hill Waste could be the perfect company for you. Whether you’re sprucing up your garden for the autumn or you’re managing a construction project, we are here to give you a helping hand when you need it most. Based in Newcastle-under-Lyme and Stoke-on-Trent, our team are committed to going above and beyond to ensure our customers are fully satisfied. To find out more about the products and services we offer, simply get in touch with our team today!